Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans -oldie

November 11, 2008

I think fall might be my favorite time of year in the South. The leaves look like this massive pallet of colors that is nearly impossible for man to replicate. The yellow leaves are the color of sun shining through honey. The smell of firewood burning is almost always in the air. When the sun is beating down on you and the breeze is blowing...it's an amazing feeling. I am describing a day exactly like today. We (Nathan, Madelyn and I) are heading to New Orleans for the weekend.

There is something about the city of New Orleans that I am in love with. In all of its glorious nastiness, there is a beautiful and rich history. I also have this morbid attraction to the cemeteries. Not because they are all full of dead people, but because of the fact that all of the tombs are above the ground. It has everything to do with New Orleans, Louisiana being a cereal bowl, literally. A bowl that is always in danger of flooding (hello, Katrina).

There is also something about the culture. The Cajuns, the voodoo, the bayou, the French Market, the artists that faithfully put their work out to sell every day, and the French Quarter. If you have ever been to New Orleans, you know that the list above could go on and on forever.

Right now, I am watching the sunlight twinkle on the water of Lake Pontchartrain on what seems like THE longest bridge EVER. I am reminded of the time, after my sister-in-law's bachelorette party, when we were driving across the dreaded bridge. We missed our turn to get on I-55...twice. Which, to those of you that have never traversed said bridge, means we had to cross the interminable bridge THREE times. All the while, my poor sister-in-law is on the verge of puking the contents of her stomach into a plastic trash bag that I stole from the hotel. The night before was a long one...consisting of hand grenades, shots, fake vampires, and crazy taxi rides. But dammit, we had fun. Even though the ride home was less than ideal, we will never hold it against the fabulous city of New Orleans.

1 comment:

Whiskey Belle said...

I love New Orleans. We need to go back and take a Vampire tour...soon!