Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The importance of being....grammatically correct

Lately, more so than ever, bad grammar has really grated on my nerves. I can really handle bad spelling, but bad grammar, just does not set well with me at all. I'm not going to preach on punctuation, because personally, I think I overuse commas (my favorite punctuation mark, by the way). I consider this blog entry a public service announcement and I hope many people will spread the word.

Today's PSA is all about correct word usage. Sounds boring, right? Well, it is a little, but it is massively important - especially if you don't want to sound like an idiot or get on my nerves.

The first portion of this entry is about the use of your and you're.

You're is a contraction of you are. Example: You're getting on my nerves.
Your shows possession. Example: Your momma _______ (fill in the blank with your favorite "your momma" joke).

Oh yeah - it's not U R either. Freakin' spell it out, captain lazy.

The second portion of the PSA is about the proper use of their, there and they're.

They're is a contraction of they are. Example: They're coming to take me away!
Their shows possession. Example: Off with their heads!
There tells location. Example: The truth is out there.

Last, but most certainly not least; it's and its. Just break out the contraction, people! It's = it is and its shows possession. Examples: It's about time. Bless its heart!

So, in closing - before you click send on that e-mail to your boss, your friend or your client - don't just click "spell check". Take a quick second to check your word usage too. Trust me, the recipient of your correspondence will appreciate it, especially if that recipient is me!

No comments: