Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My baby isn't a baby anymore

Tomorrow is my only child's last day of kindergarten. Last week, she celebrated her 6th birthday. I swear it was just yesterday that she was born or walking for the first time. I really cannot believe that 6 years have gone by since my daughter made her first appearance on Mother's Day, 2003. Best. Gift. Ever.


We've traded diapers, sippy cups and Dora the Explorer for big girl undies, Capri Sun juice boxes and Hannah Montana. For her 6th birthday, Lauren and Lindsey got her a massive Hannah Montana dress up set. I mean massive...wig, lipgloss, costume, microphone and fake purple nails with "Hannah Montana" painted on them.



Madelyn took it upon herself to unpack all of the HM goods and proceeded to put on every item that came with the set, including the fake nails. Why they put more than 10 fake nails in the "kit" is beyond me. However, being the resourceful 6 year old that she is, Madelyn would NOT let the extra 10 nails go to waste....so smart.



I digress....the point of this entry was to write down the sweetest words that Madelyn said to me tonight. I was holding her like a baby (a 45 pound baby) and rocking her and she said, "Momma, I will never be too big to sit in your lap and I'll even let you rock me when I'm a teenager." I actually shed a tear and told her that not only would I never forget that, I'd never let her forget it either.

2 comments:

Whiskey Belle said...

Umm okay, I just cried. That is the sweetest thing! I love my maddie, and the fact that she was so resourceful and put the 10 extra nails on her toes! If you have never read "I'll love you forever, I'll love you for always" you need to!!!!

Emily Troutman said...

Hey, I saw your tweet about your dad's job being affected by the oil spill. What does he do?

I am a journalist with AOL.

troutman.emily@gmail.com